Looking for Audubon
LIFELONG LEARNING WITH AUDUBON ADVENTURES
The folks at the National Audubon Society have a great new set of educational materials available through their “Audubon Adventures” program and Western Cuyahoga Audubon will obtain them for your classroom – FREE of charge!
Audubon Adventures helps 3rd through 6th graders form positive attitudes about nature with topics and themes that are important to Audubon’s mission. The series of Audubon Adventures for the 2011 – 2012 school year is called, “Feathers, Fur, Fins and You” which focus on the diversity of wildlife, their habitats and conservation efforts we all can accomplish. The information provided is a standards-based classroom curriculum and is rooted in elementary science, language arts, and social studies.
Audubon Adventures Classrooms receive all of this:
* Audubon Adventures Resource Kit with four sets of student newsmagazines and an educator’s manual with background information and hands-on activities for inside and outside of the classroom.
* Pennies for the Planet an educational fundraising project from TogetherGreen which focuses on protecting habitats for migrating animals.
* Student assessment questions and answers that evaluate students’ language arts and science skills.
* Information on how Audubon Adventures meet national and state learning standards.
Gift of Audubon membership and
Cuyahoga Audubon Society has limited funds to provide
FREE kits to schools (public,
private, parochial or home-school).
To spread the educational benefits even more consider sponsoring
an AUDUBON ADVENTURES kit for
the school’s library or media center so many educators may benefit from
this program. To order
contact Nancy Howell at 440-891-1710 or 216-231-4600 ext. 3225 or by
|Looking for Dike 14 Nature Preserve Discovery Pack Click here|
Western Cuyahoga Audubon would also like to introduce educators to a newly created educational offering sponsored by the Dike 14 Nature Preserve Environmental Education Collaborative (Dike 14 EEC). WCAS is part of the collaborative and for the past year the collaborative members have been creating teaching kits which are now packaged into the Dike 14 Nature Preserve Discovery Pack. Prepared primarily with grades 4 through 7 in mind, the kits are geared toward understanding the natural history and geography at the Dike 14 Nature Preserve or neighborhood green spaces through activities. Each kit has Objectives, Materials (most of which are provided), a Glossary, Procedures, Extension activities and are aligned with Science or Social Studies standards for the grades.
Here are the kits in one Discovery Pack:
· Flowers – Cleveland Botanical Garden
· Trees – Cleveland Metroparks
· Insects – The Cleveland Museum of Natural History
· Watershed – Cuyahoga Soil & Water Conservation District
· Geography – Earth Day Coalition
· Weather – Lake Erie Nature and Science Center
· Mammals – The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes
· Birds – Western Cuyahoga Audubon Society
· Butterflies – Ohio Lepidopterists
Plus there is a Manual for kit use, a pair of binoculars and an insect net, and Dike 14 field guide. Just think what your class may be able to use! You may choose to use all of the topics or just one, you may use it in a classroom or schoolyard or take a field trip with the pack. There are many options. Other information about the Discovery Pack can be found on our Dike 14 Nature page.
For more information about borrowing and using the Discovery Pack, and for setting up a visit to the Dike 14 Nature Preserve (at least 30 days notice is needed), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope this resource will be useful.